"Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.
" ~Mahatma Gandhi
Since the creation of the Oregon Health Authority in 2009, we have been very clear about our goals: Better health, better care and lower cost for all Oregonians.
We get to those goals by living our mission and values every day. As this year brings us to the fourth anniversary of our agency, it's a good time to revisit and reflect on our mission and values.
OHA's mission is:
"Helping people and communities achieve optimum physical, mental and social well-being through partnerships, prevention, and access to quality, affordable health care."
The Core Values that create the foundation to our mission are:
- We provide responsive and respectful service to individuals and communities and deliver efficient and effective solutions to meet their needs
- We lead through the commitment to our vision, mission, goals and the talent of our employees.
- Our leadership is founded on innovative strategies and sound management in achieving a healthy Oregon.
- Leadership is an integral part of us as we blend creativity and competence, generosity and stewardship, compassion and teamwork.
- We act with integrity in all we do.
- We are each accountable for maintaining the highest standards in all aspects of our work.
- Our decisions are informed, fiscally responsible, and transparent in order to enhance the public trust and produce positive, sustainable results.
- We promote fair and equal opportunities for health.
- We reflect the diversity of our communities in decisions about how health resources are developed and distributed.
- Internal and external collaboration with a diverse community of partners is essential to achieve a healthy Oregon.
Over the next few months we will be talking more about these core values and gathering stories about how they are reflected across the agency. Every day I see incredible work being done and that's news I want to share.
If you have a story to share about how you or your team are working to help OHA meet our goals through our core values, I'd love to hear it. Please send it to me here: OHA.DirectorsOffice@state.or.us.
And I cannot say it enough – thank you for all you do.